Friday, June 5, 2009

Essential Oils, Moisture, and PreMature locs...Thoughts??

OK.... I have a question for any Fellow Sisterlocker, or Loc'er period, that happens to pop on my blog. How are you taking care of your new Sisterlocks/Locs OR how did you take care of your Sisterlocks/Locs in the first stages. This is the question I asked a fellow blogger:

I am just curious. My loctitian about kicked me through the phone about using ANY type of oils or moisture on my hair until it has gotten older. She said that moisture is not good for the locs because they are not mature and it will cause slippage. This came up because I was telling her that I have one in the front that feels like it wants to pop off. She described what it looked like as if she were here: more hair towards the end and it feels and looks like the loc is hanging by a string. She IMPLORED me not to use any oils right now and stated I should use Sea Breeze ONLY on the scalp if I have an itch. Needless to say I am FREAKED out about it because I have been doing a spritz here and there and I use a mouse with my rollers. Has your loctitian stated this? I have seen arguements on both sides. I must say, feeling through my hair, a couple of my locs do feel that way and I am not sure if it is new growth or what. How are yours holding up?

Thoughts? What are you guys going through if anything?

5 comments:

  1. Hey, I would say no more mouse until your locks are settled. Now I'm not telling you To go against your consultant because she knows the texture of your hair best so I would follow her advice. I use a water and essential oil spritz every once in a while to liven up my locks or when I'm about to curl it just so it stays and my hair has been fine except for a brief slippage episode due to when I washed without banding but our textures may be different.. At this stage of your hair you don't need mouse all it will do is cause build up in ur locs, it may even be to blame for the thinning at you scalp because it may make your hair dry and brittle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, I think I am going to just stop using products for a while until she give me the 'go'. Like you, I was using the spritz to wake my locs up. Too much time and money to let something go wrong with these babies...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you. I have spent too much time, money and I spent hours investgating to acheive the results that inspired me to get sisterlocks in the first place. Check out blaqkofi.blogspot.com and chosenvessel06.blogspot.com and scroll down and read. I look at sucessful sisterlock blogs and have decided to do what they did and what my loctician, who has beautiful sisterlocks did, so that I can have the same results.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have Sisiterlocks but braidlocks that are really small so for the first month I braided and banded when I washed which was on a weekly basis. I spritzed with water and a few drops of lavender essential oil about every 3 days or so. The only problem I had were the locs at the nape and a few at the hairline. They stopped slipping at month 3 I think.

    When my hair was loose but in 24/7 twists I was doing the monthly washing but for me I think my scalp was suffering. It would itch all the time so I have found that my scalp needs moisture daily. However, I do not use any other products such as setting lotions, non natural gels and mousse in my hair. For me less is more except for moisture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Cshan,

    I have been loc'd for a month now and although I was once the self-proclaimed "queen of hair products", I am a stickler for following my locticians advice with regards to my loc maintenance. I use a water and fresh lime juice spritz in the mornings to revive my locs. I use the same spritz to set my locs for braid-outs and when I curl them with rollers. This spritz is friggin FABULOUS, as I have really curly hair and the lime keeps my curls defined and soft (even as they are continually shriveling in preparation for the locking). For my itchy scalp, I use Listerine (the brown bottle) approximately twice a week. It leaves my scalp feeling fresh and soothes my irritating itchies! This routine is simple and has, in my humble opinion, been keeping my locs looking good (no slippage!). In sum, I would highly recommend sticking with you loctician's advice and storing away the precious products until you are fully loc'd! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete