Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Confronting my own issues...

As I read a Queen Nat’s blog and explanation as to why she cut her locks, it really made me ask myself if I was 100% satisfied with mine. This is a trick question for me, and I hesitate to answer it because I am only going 8 months compared to her several years. Still, some of the issues that she is having, fuzzy locks, loosing locs, and etc, I am experiencing as well. Albeit, I have only lost 3, but that is enough. I already knew before reading her blog that I was going to have my loctitioan combine my edges in the front on my next reti. I know this may distort my pattern, but I really don’t have concern for pattern if it’s going to keep me from having bare edges. There is really no getting around it, especially with the tension that is put on it by twisting and plaiting my hair.

Another thing that I am fighting with is the fact that I have these overly pressed ends that are never going to lock in the front. I won’t be cutting them anytime soon because that will leave me some short locs in the front. I am tired of the in between stage so I won’t be cutting them until I know I can put my hair in a pony tail even after they have been cut.

Sometimes, and this is just me being honest, I wonder if Sisterlocks was definitely the way for me to go. I only wonder this because of my hair type; I have really soft hair, and I have a coily curl pattern. With my hair not being coarse, I wonder if that is why I have the fuzzies or if this is just something that happens and will eventually go away. Sometimes I wonder if I should have gone the traditional route do to the fact that my cousins and friends with similar hair types have a tighter look with the traditional locks. Will my hair ever have the cylindrical look? Some of the locks in the back are getting there… I just wonder sometimes. OK… I am done with my venting…

5 comments:

  1. Hey,
    Do you feel better now (having vented)? Even a little bit?

    I share some of the issues you mentioned above and am now in my 7th month.

    Apart from the (too small around the edges) issue, I'm pretty sure you'd have the same issues with traditional locks, because at the end of the day, the fuzz and frizz associated with your 'soft' hair/curl pattern would present itself again. Remember, this is still early days :) Of course it may be that softer/curlier hair locks better in a double twist or braided pattern... I've seen one blog where a young lady undid all her SLs (only a couple weeks in) and plait them - thus keeping the grid and sizing etc. She seems incredibly happy... maybe this is another option to consider?

    For me, it's not a question of SLs vs Traditional locks; it's more of a should I lock at all? Loose natural hair seems so much easier to maintain....BUT before I started down this route, I did as much research as I could and decided to take the chance; I made a decision to stick with this for at least 2 years, which is 6 mos longer than the lady you refer to in your post, so that's what I'm gonna do.

    Ultimately, she did what was right for her and I know that as a strong minded Black woman you will do the same - whether that means staying the course, taking these locks down or cutting them off. I hope you grow to love these locks since you've already invested the time and effort but I know you love you and will be alright in the end :)

    *This was a virtual hug from me to you*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, thanks A LOT Bajan! I needed that. I did feel better after putting my feelings out there. Like you said, I have made a serious investment and I owe it to myself to stick it out. It’s up and down sometimes and I know it has a lot to do with patience, but I know one thing is for sure, and that is that I am definitely going to get the edges combined. 2 years sounds like my max as well, and I agree with you in that it seems like natural loose hair seemed to be sooo much easier. I guess because I am in an in between stage and it’s only so much I know how to do. I am not a stylist or gifted in braiding.

    I wondered the same thing as far as if it was a good idea for me to lock. I waited 2 years before I actually made the plunge and it seemed like the best option for me. Don't get me wrong, it's not all bad, it's just this 'new' phase that is getting to me....sigh...

    Time will tell and until then I will just love and take care of them as best as I can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ladies!!! Wow, you are making me worried about my fellow sisters walking the same road as me. Although, I'm not exactly experiencing the same issues as you, I still have a few. The one thing, I would ask you is what was the reason you decided to lock? Then, why did you decide to get sisterlocks over palm-rolling, coils etc? Don't lose sight of your original reasons to lock with SL's. Its definitely a long lesson in patience, but the most important thing is that its different for us all.

    I do have coily, kinky, down right "naps" and I was told that my hair was perfect for SL's, but what do I know. I'm not giving my locks a life span, I'm just allowing them to do what they need to do and I'm enjoying the phases. Getting through the awkward phase is needed to get to the "other side". Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From the looks of your pictures and the some of the issues you are having, it sounds a lot like my locs, but I love mine. I didn't always though. I locked back in Dec. of '08. I thought that all the fuzzies was something gone wrong with the way my locs were installed(another story). I was encouraged to cut my locs early which caused a massive over-take of my curlies. So not only is my locs fuzzy to the root, but I also look like I have somewhat of an afro.

    I'm posting this comment to tell you you are not alone, to ask you to stay strong, to encourage you to press forward, to promise you the uncertainty won't last.

    And the real reason.....Pleeeezzz because I don't see alot of the soft coily locs like yours and mine. I hope to see your locs several years from now :D

    Big (((Hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gigglz, you are right and I appreciate you for putting it into perspective, and making me ask myself why I chose the SL route in the first place. It is seriously all about patience and this journey has taken on a life of its on in that it is making me stick to something and work with the ups and downs. I would be a fool to just quit now because I know eventually I would definitely regret it.

    Kicukalah, your post makes me feel a lot better. It helps to know that I am not alone and that I can learn from those who have been on the journey longer than me. I want to get to the point where I love my locs ALL THE TIME. I hate the up and down that I am going through. Truth is, I know that I will be happy with them when they are completely locked and allow these babies to do what they do. IT IS JUST SO HARD… You know how it is; women want what they want when they want it, and I just need to pump by brakes and check myself and realize it is INDEED a process with any type of locks…

    Thanks ladies and ((((((HUGS))))) TO ALL OF YOU!

    ReplyDelete